Tuesday, December 1, 2009

THANKSGIVING IN ALABAMA!

Oh this was a great Thanksgiving this year!  The whole Moriarty Family traveled to Alabama to see my mom's side of the family and to spend 6 days basking in all that a small, quiet piece of the heart of the deep south has to offer.   There was shooting, fishing, 4-wheeling, tractor driving, horse riding, cow feeding and campfires with s'mores!  The boys didn't stop the whole time we were there!
Tim, Debbie, Courtney, Anthony, Meemaw and my whole family flew from Houston to Jackson, Mississippi.  We then rented cars and drove about 2 1/2 hours east to Demopolis, Alabama.  Kiki, Aaron and Owen drove from Austin because they are insane.Well, it technically was because they wanted to camp, but I still say they are insane.  Michelle and Scott flew down from NYC, via, Philly and LA to join us there (long story involving Scott helping out with Cole Hamels' pitching camp).

It was so great to see Uncle Jimmy and Aunt Betty and their daughters, Julie and Stephanie.  Jimmy is Meemaw's little brother, but his kids are my age, so we grew up together.

Jimmy loves his ranch and tending it and Betty is the best cook I have ever known!  I never leave there without bringing home at least 5 recipes.  This time I bought her church cookbook to bring home and still added some more in the margins!

Julie and her husband Valley Harrison have 2 daughters Molly Katherine (6) and Hillary (4).  Stephanie and her husband Scott Parten have 1 daughter, Mary Carlton (2).  It was so much fun to see them all (some for the first time) and others again!

So needless to say, many pictures were taken and they are all on several different cameras.  Reconciling all of them is going to be a major undertaking so, bear with me as I post stuff over the next several days.  I will try to go roughly in order.


DAY 1







We didn't waste any time the first day.  We wanted to play right away.  The gang goes out to feed the cows.





Jake helps Uncle Jimmy take some hay to the pasture for the cows.




Josh feeds a cow by hand.  Uncle Jimmy lamented that the cows will be spoiled when we leave since we did this every day for 5 days.




Jill wants in on the cow feeding action.  This was her favorite thing to do while we were there.  She LOVED the cows!







Then all the cousins came over for a visit and that was fun.  The little ones are Hillary and Molly Katherine, Julie's daughters. 






This is Jill greeting Mary Carlton, Stephanie's daughter (next to Mary C).  Mary Carlton just turned 2 so she and Jill were buds.





Julie with her daughter Hillary and Mary Carlton.

2 comments:

Erica said...

I love it! The kids are all so cute and I love that Jill was brave enough to feed the cows! I got to see one of these on Courtney's Facebook pg.

Ruth said...

I just hit next from my blog and yours popped up. Turns out we were in the same area for Thanksgiving. My parents live there and have since my father retired from the Air Force. I escaped as soon as I could.